I mean who doesn’t like French Toast? It sounds so romantic that it actually reminds me of Paris. In case you didn’t know, I have a rock solid love affair avec mon amour, Paris. I was lucky enough to spend numerous holidays in the city of love&romance, and through the years our friendship blossomed into a romantic relationship). Furthermore, the tiny apartments, the cobblestone streets of Quartier Latin, and the cute little candlelit cafes where the waiters pull out the table, so you can sit down (and push back immediately as you sit) all contribute to the romantic atmosphere of Paris. Additionally, the lush greens of Bois de Boulogne & Bois de Vincennes, the smell of Raclette at the Christmas market, and the countless opportunities to explore art, culture, and history make it a city full of charm and beauty. The reasons I love Paris are as diverse as the city itself, and I wanted to create a recipe that screams Paris, and I think I nailed it!
Ingredients for the vegan french toast recipe:
Coconut flour: Coconut flour is a unique alternative to wheat flour. It is made from coconut flesh that has been dried and ground. Coconut flour has an impressive nutrient profile, being particularly high in fiber, potassium, iron, and plant-based protein. It may promote stable blood sugar levels and a healthy heart. Additionally, it’s a good choice for digestive health and may support a healthy body weight. You can use coconut flour in a variety of recipes, including baked goods, pizza crusts, wraps, soups, stews, burgers, and meat and veggie loaves.
Plant based milk: Plant milks offer both environmental and nutritional benefits. Plants used in alternative milk beverages require less land, water, fertilizer, and energy to produce than dairy cattle. Plant milks are a good alternative to cow’s milk, they are typically lower in saturated fat and calories, and provide some of the nutritional benefits of the whole plants themselves. Plant milks are also a good option for those who have milk allergies or lactose intolerance, including myself. I usually drink nut milks, which is made of blended nuts soaked in water. There are a lot of varieties with different consistencies, calorie contents, and nutrients.
Vanilla: Natural vanilla extract is made from the pods of the vanilla plant, and is widely used to flavor foods and beverages. It is also used in medicines and fragrances. It is one of the most expensive spices in the world because it is so labor-intensive to produce. Studies have shown that both the flavor and aroma of vanilla can offer some health benefits. Did you know that smelling vanilla can have calming effects? It can reduce startle reflexes and also provide some relief from sleep apnea, a sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts.
Maple syrup: Pure Maple Syrup contains several benefits, including 24 natural antioxidants that can reduce the damage of free radicals causing inflammation and reduce various chronic disease. Similarly to raw honey, maple syrup can help to lower skin inflammation, redness, blemishes and dryness. It is a healthier alternative to artificial sweeteners and may enhance antibiotic effects.
Tips for making the best vegan french toast…ever:
- Make sure you do not let the bread soak too long. If it happens your bread will fall apart when you transfer to the frying pan. To avoid this to happen, make sure you only dip the bread into the almond milk only for a second.
- Maybe it won’t be the most handsome french toast, but trust me, those flavors will burst into your mouth!
- If you have leftover sweet bread, for example brioche, do not hesitate to use it! French Toast and fresh bread aren’t a match made in heaven, use only leftover bread for this recipe.
500 ml mandula tej
1 bögre kókusz liszt
Kókusz olaj a sütéshez
6 szelet szikkadt kenyér
1 kávéskanál vanília esszencia
Keverd el a vanília esszenciát a mandula tejjel egy mélytányérban. Egy másik tányérba szórj kókusz lisztet, majd a szikkadt kenyér szeleteket először mártsd a mandula tejbe egy pillanatra (hamar elázik, ezért légy nagyon gyors!) majd mehet a kókusz lisztbe. Közben hevíts kókusz olajat tapadásmentes serpenyőben, és közepes lángon süsd a szeleteket aranybarnára.
Tálald friss gyümölccsel és juharsziruppal.
Photo inspiration: André Chaíca
- 500 ml almond milk
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 6 slices of bread not fresh
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Coconut oil for frying
- Fresh fruits
- Maple syrup
- In a shallow bowl, wide enough to hold a piece of bread, whisk together the almond milk and the vanilla extract.
- Add coconut flour into another shallow bowl.
- Heat coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- First dip each side of the bread in the almond milk for a seconds, then dip each side in the coconut flour.
- Add the bread to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side on medium heat, until golden brown. Add more coconut oil to the pan as needed in between pieces of bread.
- Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit, if desired.